Halifax is growing fast, and many folks are moving into new homes or renovating their older ones. Even with all of the modern amenities available, these homes can still run into common electrical problems throughout Nova Scotia’s extreme seasons. 

Knowing what to watch out for and how to fix these issues is key to keeping your home safe and running smoothly. Here are 6 of the most common electrical problems in Halifax homes and how you can tackle fixing them.

1. Outdated Electrical Panels

For older homes that require renovations, some of them might still have old electrical panels that can’t handle modern electrical demands. Upgrading to a 200-amp service can prevent overloaded circuits and potential fire hazards.


You can’t replace an electrical panel yourself (unless you’re an electrician), but you can check the load on your circuits. Try to balance the load by unplugging unnecessary appliances or redistributing them across different circuits.

If nothing changes, then consult a licensed Halifax electrician to check out your panel and upgrade it if needed. This ensures your home can handle today’s electrical loads safely.

2. Flickering Lights

Flickering lights can be caused by loose connections, faulty wiring, or issues with the local power grid. This is mainly an issue with older homes, but can happen in newer homes as well.


Check if the light bulbs are screwed in tightly. Sometimes, loose bulbs can cause flickering. Also, try replacing the bulb to see if the problem persists.

If that doesn’t solve it, call a licensed Halifax electrician to inspect the wiring and connections.

3. Electrical Surges

Surges can damage your appliances and shorten their lifespan. They can be caused by lightning, damaged power lines, or faulty appliances in your home.


This issue is easier to prevent from happening. Simply unplug devices that are not in use, especially during a heavy winter storm or hurricane where your home is likely to lose power. Also, consider using surge protectors for valuable electronics or appliances.

If you need assistance installing a surge protector for your Halifax home, then consult a local electrician to speed up the process.

4. Tripping Circuit Breakers

For context, a circuit breaker is a safety device that automatically stops the flow of electricity in a circuit to prevent damage and reduce fire risk from overloads or short circuits in your home.

If your circuit breakers trip often, it could mean your circuits are overloaded, or you have faulty appliances or short circuits.


Identify which appliances or devices are causing the breaker to trip. Unplug these devices and try resetting the breaker. 

If the breaker trips again, there may be a more serious issue that requires a licensed Halifax electrician to take a look.

5. Non-Grounded Outlets

In many older Halifax homes, you might still find two-prong outlets, which lack grounding. Grounding is a critical safety feature that protects against electrical shock and fire hazards. 

For example, a faulty microwave with a loose wire can cause a fire if the kitchen outlets are not properly grounded.


You can use a plug-in tester to check if outlets are grounded. 

While you can’t fix non-grounded outlets yourself, identifying the issue can help you explain the problem to a Halifax electrician who can actually fix the issue.

6. Overloaded Outlets

Using too many power strips and extension cords can lead to overloaded outlets in your home, increasing the risk of fires.


Simple solution. Avoid using too many power strips and extension cords. Distribute your devices across multiple outlets and circuits around your home, and you should be able to easily avoid this problem.

Wrapping Up

Taking care of your Halifax home’s electrical system is crucial for your safety and functionality. While some issues can be managed with a bit of DIY, others will definitely need a pro’s touch. 

If you’re ever in doubt, don’t hesitate to contact a licensed Halifax electrician. They can help ensure everything’s up to code and running smoothly. 

Remember, keeping your home’s electrical system in good shape not only prevents headaches but also keeps you and your family safe. Stay proactive, and don’t let those common electrical problems catch you off guard!